Welcome to the American School of Quito!
We are a private non-profit school founded in 1940. We have a extensive campus located in the country’s capital and home to more than 2000 students and 250 educational professional staff members. Our current campus is surrounded by the Andes mountains and has been the hub for the school community since 1983.
A History Committed to Educational Leadership
The school's foundation was initiated in 1939 by Galo Plaza Lasso, President of the Republic of Ecuador and later General Secretary of the Organization of American States (OAS), together with Mr. Boaz Long, representative of the Government of the United States in Ecuador. A group of Ecuadorian families, US diplomatic mission families, as well as others from multinational companies, joined in this process. These families were interested in founding a school based on the American model, in which race and religion were not impediments to learning since the only options at the time were Roman/Catholic School or the German School. By October 14, 1940, the American School of Quito opened its doors to 162 students.
At the beginning, a cooperative of parents was formed that later was replaced by the Foundation in 1988. AdvancED accredited the school in 1948, obtaining the category of “experimental” from the Ministry of Education in 1948, 1985, and finally in 1994.
Academic Growth and Excellence
The International Baccalaureate Program was implemented in 1990. Currently, the American School of Quito offers the International Baccalaureate Primary Years Program, Middle Years Program and Diploma Program. The school has served its students in three different buildings and moved to its current facilities in 1983.