The Libraries at the American School of Quito aim to empower our community members to be lifelong readers and learners, critical thinkers, inquirers, and communicators as well as efficient, effective, and ethical consumers and creators of information in order to be principled members of local, national, and global communities.
Role of the library
- Support teaching and learning plans and programs.
- Ensure that the library plays an integral role in supporting inquiry and access to quality print and digital resources.
- Collaborate with teachers to develop information literacy.
- Coordinate guidance and training for staff and students in information literacy, digital literacy, and effective use of resources.
- Develop a collection that has current and relevant resources in a variety of formats to support inquiry learning.
- Promote the enjoyment of reading through the following:
- Promote and foster the enjoyment of reading for pleasure, contributing to the development of reading skills.
- Develop and contribute to the school reading culture through reading programs, initiatives, and events.
- Provide leadership and support to teachers on reading engagement and developing lifelong readers.
- Ensure the library collection provides a wide range of quality reading material, catering to diverse needs and interests.
- Provide the school community with a welcoming and positive learning facility.
- Enable community involvement.
- Foster student well-being.